Broadband Communities

MAY-JUN 2019

BROADBAND COMMUNITIES is the leading source of information on digital and broadband technologies for buildings and communities. Our editorial aims to accelerate the deployment of Fiber-To-The-Home and Fiber-To-The-Premises.

Issue link: https://bbcmag.epubxp.com/i/1119229

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 46 of 92

SUMMIT COVERAGE 4 0 | B R O A D B A N D C O M M U N I T I E S | w w w. b r o a d b a n d c o m m u n i t i e s . c o m | M AY / J U N E 2 0 1 9 News From the Expo Floor Dura-Line's FuturePath line (www.duraline.com) includes multiple variations of duct and microduct bound together with an oversheath for easy placement. The duct slides against the sheath so it can be delivered on spools. The ducts are lined with long-lasting, superslick silicone to reduce friction during cable placement. Reduced-diameter microcable ducts like those shown can accommodate up to 432 -bers. For outside use, these ducts are normally made of HPDE, but they can be manufactured in -re- and smoke-resistant plastics for risers, plenums and so forth. Kentucky-based Blue Diamond industries (www.bdiky.com) o…ers a full line of conduit for telecom and other applications. Lengths of HPDE conduit are often joined by aluminum couplers with interior barbs that hold fast. Here are a few examples. In a re-imagining of technology that many considered obsolescent, G.hn from Positron (www.positronaccess.com) can deliver gigabit broadband inside an MDU, even over old RG-59 coax. Positron o…ers 12- and 24-port solutions (using coax, one port can serve multiple customers). The price/ performance ratio is attractive for a wide range of wiring types, including good twisted pair cable, and the management software is solid. Multicom's MUL-HDENC-C-100 HD digital encoder (for converting HDMI to QAM) caught our eye because it costs less than $600, is tiny and has a nice, web-based control interface. The prices for this equipment category have been coming down – they are typically only half what they were a year ago. This is another example of why private cable operators, MDU owners and managers who priced a broadband upgrade last year and put the idea aside should reconsider. See https://multicomstore.com.

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Broadband Communities - MAY-JUN 2019