Broadband Communities

MAY-JUN 2019

BROADBAND COMMUNITIES is the leading source of information on digital and broadband technologies for buildings and communities. Our editorial aims to accelerate the deployment of Fiber-To-The-Home and Fiber-To-The-Premises.

Issue link: https://bbcmag.epubxp.com/i/1119229

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 40 of 92

SUMMIT COVERAGE 3 4 | B R O A D B A N D C O M M U N I T I E S | w w w. b r o a d b a n d c o m m u n i t i e s . c o m | M AY / J U N E 2 0 1 9 Fiber Moves Forward Speakers at the 2019 BROADBAND COMMUNITIES Summit, held in Austin in April, agreed that every community wants – and needs – great broadband. How best to deliver great broadband to MDUs, master-planned communities, underserved towns and rural areas is still up for debate, however. Following are some highlights of speaker presentations. A BBC Sta Report C enturyLink and Verizon agree ber is the future for their last-mile networks, but in the Conversation With the Big Carriers session, they expressed dierent points of view about what to do with their legacy copper networks. CenturyLink, which deepened its business and wholesale service lines with ber gained via its acquisition of Level 3, is not trying to migrate customers from copper. Dan O'Connell, senior director of consumer markets for CenturyLink, said the company plans to maintain dual networks of copper and ber: "Where we do ber builds, we will run copper and ber in parallel, and I am not aware of any strategy that says that is going to change anytime soon." CenturyLink, the slowest of the major telcos to build FTTH, is moving to expand its consumer ber reach. "In terms of coverage, ber expansion is an ongoing initiative," O'Connell said. "If you ask anyone from the CEO all the way down what the company's No. 1 mission is, it's ber expansion to bring these capabilities to our consumer base as quickly as we possibly can." O'Connell added that "the pace of the ber expansion is accelerating, and you can expect over the next ve years that a large percentage of our residential base will have ber." Verizon, on the other hand, is actively retiring copper plant in parts of its Northeast wireline footprint. Although it has slowed the pace of its Fios buildout, it continues to roll out ber in select markets. Michael Weston, senior leader, Verizon Enhanced Communities, told attendees that it is "aggressively deploying ber" to reach about 25 million households in its territory. In a recent FCC ling, Verizon asked to retire copper in several parts of New York, New England and Pennsylvania as it continues moving customers to ber-based technology. Specically, Verizon is addressing 50 wire centers in New Verizon, CenturyLink Diverge on Copper Retirement IN-BUILDING WIRELESS Shawn Cullingford, Ruckus Networks: Never put wireless access points in the hallways of multifamily buildings! WAPs are now critical infrastructure. Their bandwidth drops o… very quickly with distance because they operate at high frequencies, so they should be placed as close as possible to tenants. In addition, a hallway is a radio-frequency wind tunnel, and if its walls are constructed with chicken wire in plaster, it will act as a Faraday cage, blocking electromagnetic ˆelds. Multiple WAPs may be required for each unit. Shawn Cullingford, Ruckus Networks

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Broadband Communities - MAY-JUN 2019