Broadband Communities

MAY-JUN 2019

BROADBAND COMMUNITIES is the leading source of information on digital and broadband technologies for buildings and communities. Our editorial aims to accelerate the deployment of Fiber-To-The-Home and Fiber-To-The-Premises.

Issue link: https://bbcmag.epubxp.com/i/1119229

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 38 of 92

FIBER DEPLOYMENT 3 2 | B R O A D B A N D C O M M U N I T I E S | w w w. b r o a d b a n d c o m m u n i t i e s . c o m | M AY / J U N E 2 0 1 9 He says what makes the Mediacom service better is that "we don't have a lot of the restrictions that the university has placed on us because we have unfettered gigabit access." However, Turpin adds, some university faculty-related businesses want to stay on the university network. ATTRACTING DIVERSE BUSINESSES Creating the MIC was a collaborative process. Turpin and the University of Missouri drafted a federal Economic Development Administration grant application, planning that the MIC would manage the facility. "All along, the plan was for us to manage it for them," Turpin says. "We jointly constructed it with the university." Because the isotope reactor is across the street from the MIC, the location is convenient for cancer-related startups to develop solutions. One company that decided to relocate to Columbia to take advantage of the reactor and the university's R&D capabilities is Tensive Controls. †e company is developing new cancer drugs and conducting trials on dogs. Owners of the dogs that participate in these trials, which are recruited through the University of Missouri School of Veterinary Medicine, don't have to pay anything. "If you do a drug trial on a mouse, there's less than a 50 percent chance you'll get the same result in a human," Turpin says. "But if you do a trial on a dog, there's a 90 percent chance it will work in a human." DRIVING COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT A key goal of all the innovation centers is to drive economic development across the entire state of Missouri. For the MIC, the match with Mediacom came at a relevant time, particularly as the cable MSO decided that Columbia would be one of its network buildout targets. "We needed the broadband, and Mediacom is pretty active in our community," Turpin says. "We're one of the communities they decided to become more active in, and they looked at communities where they could make a big diŽerence." Turpin adds, "We found that we had a common goal of helping small companies here in town that would also help provide references for larger companies that are interested in Mediacom." Columbia is not in a remote, rural area; it is a big university town with more than 120,000 residents. However, it is in a ""yover zone" that most site selectors don't initially think about. But Turpin says that having sound broadband enables it and its surrounding community to be more competitive. "I believe the internet and broadband access is one of those things that levels the playing –eld [to the point] where Missouri can compete against anywhere else in the world," he says. Y Sean Buckley is the associate editor of BROADBAND COMMUNITIES. He can be reached at sean@bbcmag.com. "Broadband access is one of those things that levels the playing eld to the point where Missouri can compete against anywhere else in the world."

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Broadband Communities - MAY-JUN 2019