Broadband Communities

MAY-JUN 2019

BROADBAND COMMUNITIES is the leading source of information on digital and broadband technologies for buildings and communities. Our editorial aims to accelerate the deployment of Fiber-To-The-Home and Fiber-To-The-Premises.

Issue link: https://bbcmag.epubxp.com/i/1119229

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 36 of 92

FIBER DEPLOYMENT 3 0 | B R O A D B A N D C O M M U N I T I E S | w w w. b r o a d b a n d c o m m u n i t i e s . c o m | M AY / J U N E 2 0 1 9 Missouri Innovation Center Takes Advantage of Gig Services Startup businesses use broadband to compete and grow. By Sean Buckley / Broadband Communities T he home of the University of Missouri, Columbia is fast becoming one of the Midwest's new business innovation hubs. One major reason is the Missouri Innovation Center (MIC) and a •ber pipe from Mediacom. -e cable MSO extended its •ber to enable 1 Gbps internet service for the center, which serves as a startup company incubator. -e MIC o„ers startup businesses mentoring, •nancial support and resources for conducting research and development. Launched in 1984, the MIC is part of the state's initiative to create economic development support systems through its universities. -e University of Missouri is the home of the country's largest research reactor, which makes radioisotopes used for medical imaging and developing new drugs. In 2009, the university selected the MIC to operate and maintain the MU Life Science Incubator at Monsanto Place. In 2016, the center expanded its role to support technology startups in •elds that include health care, precision agriculture, media, education, •nancial services and online marketplaces. -e MIC is one of several locations dedicated to supporting innovation. Missouri's nine innovation centers, which run independently, are overseen by a statewide agency called the Missouri Technology Corporation. Other locations include large facilities in St. Louis and Kansas City. -e remaining centers are in smaller towns and cities throughout the state. Bill Turpin, president and CEO of the MIC, says being collocated with the University of Missouri gives new businesses hatched inside the university immediate access to resources. "-e cool thing for us is, we're right by this major research university," Turpin says. "A big part of our mission is to help faculty spin out businesses in the life sciences." Turpin adds that, in addition to supporting a mix of new companies developing energy technologies, engineering and medical devices germinated inside the university, the Columbia MIC works with startups throughout the state and in other locations. "We serve a broader charter with support for community and other startups from the area," Turpin says. "Occasionally, we even have companies that move here from other countries or other parts of the United States." Turpin has plenty of experience running startup companies and leading IT installation e„orts. Prior to joining the MIC, he was the founding CEO of four startups and a senior executive at public companies, including Netscape, where he participated in the internet company's 1995 IPO. After several years of working in Silicon Valley, Turpin returned to Columbia to share his experiences and provide guidance to new companies. BROADBAND IS A NECESSITY Many MIC businesses collaborate with clients and partners in various regions and countries,

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Broadband Communities - MAY-JUN 2019